Welcome to 9-12 Guidance
800 N Jackson St
Osceola, IA 50213
Phone: (641)342-6505 x534
Here are the steps for participating in SWCC classes next school year.
1. Iowa Assessments- We took Iowa Assessments in February. In order to participate in most SWCC programming students must score proficient on all three tests (Reading, Science, Math). This is an Iowa Department of Education rule. We should have scores back before the end of the year. The only exception to this rule is career academies (i.e., welding, construction, auto, health sciences, electrical tech).
2. Students interested in taking SWCC classes while in high school must complete the online application for high school students prior to step 3. In order to do so, the student will need their SSN. Mrs. Scott will visit sophomore and junior classes sometime after spring break and encourage students to apply online.
3. Students will take the ACCUPLACER on either April 11 or April 18 with Mrs. Scott and a SWCC proctor in the LMC. The ACCUPLACER is a placement test and helps determine skill readiness. If a student's scores do not demonstrate they are ready for college-level work they may retake the test at their cost on their time. Mrs. Scott will visit sophomore and junior classes sometime after spring break and ask students to sign up for the test.
4. Students will complete the SWCC Registration Form and select classes. Forms will be available after ACCUPLACER testing. Tentatively all forms will be due by May 1.
5. Students will attend all orientation and information sessions. There will be one or two at the high school this spring and one in the fall at SWCC. These meetings should be treated as mandatory and not optional. The dates for the orientation and information sessions are TBD.
Note: Students who have previously taken SWCC courses do not repeat steps 2 and 3. These steps are only for first-time SWCC students.